About the Abrolhos Islands
Incredible choices of activities, with the sea at your back door
From April to September as the weather in Perth begins to cool, we head north and commence our live-aboard charter options. Our first and primary destination is the amazing Abrolhos Islands , famous for the shipwreck and mutiny of the Dutch vessel “ Batavia ”, (amongst numerous others). Located offshore from the town of Geraldton the islands comprise of over one hundred coral atolls in three main groups spanning 100km from north to south.
The Abrolhos Islands lay in the warm stream of the southward-flowing “Lee
uwin Current” creating a unique and prolific marine environment including 100’s of fish species, (both tropical and temperate), a multitude of coral varieties and formations, over 90 species of sea birds, including abnormally large numbers of the majestic white breasted sea eagle, and whales, dolphins, seals and sea lions.
About Live Aboard Charters
Your group of up to six passengers will have the whole boat to yourselves with the two crew there to cook meals and cater to your needs while you enjoy t
he beautiful ocean surrounds. The crew will assist you in how you would like to customise your charter to to suit your interests, enthusiasm and the weather on a day to day basis. Clients also have a choice of which island group or groups they wish to visit as we have several beautiful safe anchorages in each group. Charters depart/return from Geraldton or you may choose to take a light plane or helicopter flight to or from Rat or East Wallaby islands to experience theAbrolhos from the air.
Daily activities we can offer
- Fishing – shallow water bottom fishing for baldchin, coral trout, trevally etc.
- Deep water bottom fishing for dhufish, snapper, emperor, cod etc.
- Light tackle sport fishing for mackerel, mahi-mahi, tuna, etc.
- Mid to deep water jigging for samson fish, yellowtail kingfish, coral trout etc
- Diving – unlimited snorkelling options, including marine reserves, dive trails, wrecks and friendly fish and wildlife, etc all available in shallow waters.
- Eco – sightseeing, wildlife/bird watching or photography, historical tours, etc.
- Just lazing in the autumn sun with a good book, (Islands of the Angry Ghosts).
What to Bring on Your Trip
You only need to bring suitable clothing, own dive gear (some basic snorkel gear on board), your favourite fishing rod if you wish and your drinks of choice.We will provide the beautifully comfortable and functional vessel “Jude”, over 20 years experience at the Abrolhos, fishing tackle, bait, unlimited fresh water, meals and the best sights and experiences the Abrolhos has to offer.
Full Service on Board
Our crew will prepare and serve all meals, act as fishing or snorkeling
guides, rig tackle, clean and fillet your catch (we encourage catch and release of several species of fish), cryovac bag and freeze your catch to take home (subject to fisheries regulations), provide informative commentary/descriptions/historical facts, etc (tall tales and true).
- 20 years experience
- Fast and comfortable and fully equipped vessel
- Uses only state of the art equipment
- Chair or stand-up angling
- Coaching for beginners
- Consistent fish raiser
Highlights for the trip
- Fantastic fishing – from dhufish to marlin
- Awesome diving – a snorkel is all you need to experience a wonderland of coral, shipwrecks, tame fish and an endless variety of marine life
- Surfing – with names like Super-Tubes it speaks for itself
- Eco tours – bird-watching, whales, seals, dolphins and island tours etc.
- Shipwrecks – history abounds amongst the islands
- Seafood – incredible choices, fresh from the sea literally at the back door
Best times of year
April to September
Contact Leticia at [email protected]